I made two pillowcases the other day. I was feeling intimidated by fitting (I’ve been reading books that are at a much more advanced level of sewing than I am) and needed to do something to boost my confidence.
I purchased two “European Style” pillows at Ross the other week that I thought would make good couch cushions. They were 24 inch squares, and I didn’t have anything to cover them, so I used some of the yoga bag project seersucker material and made them cases. Now they’re on the couch and being used instead of sitting in their plastic covers waiting for me!
I used the seersucker weave to get my cuts straight, and each pillowcase was a rectangle 25″ tall and 33″ long. That gave me 1/2″ seam/hem allowances and 4″ of overlap on the back of the pillowcase, so I didn’t have to bother putting a zipper in for a closure. Unfortunately, I didn’t take any pictures of my work in progress, but I do have a couple of the finished product! The pictures have a bit of a greenish tinge, but it’s really a natural, unbleached cotton color.